Friday, August 14, 2015

España: writers, and painters, and fiestas oh my!

Channeling my inner Wizard of Oz today with my blog title. :)

These past few days have been full of new things including new things in class. As I stated last time, it was a pretty frustrating week with classes just because it was new stuff for me (for the most part) and everyone else with the exception of one other girl speak a language that allowed them to understand the grammatical things we were working on. However, despite these frustrations, I have finished my second week of grammar classes! I will only have one more class like these on Monday and then on Tuesday, Zury and I begin our business study classes with a different professor. What we have been told is that we are going to have normal class sessions from 9:30-11 and 11:30-1 like we have been and then afterwards the professor will take us around to other businesses in Spain. We will still be able to go on the planned activities that the program has, but we won't have classes with everyone else like we have been. 

On Wednesday night, the school had an activity called Paseo por Madrid. With this activity, we walked around with a professor and saw where many authors lived many many years ago and learned why they lived where they lived. Addditionally, we saw the house of Sorolla, a famous painter in Spain and all around the world and saw many of his artworks. Our  professor said that many of the writers moved to Madrid because this is where the capital of Spain ended up being. Madrid was where the money was for artists once Madrid became the capital. However, for Sorolla, he actually didn't do so bad for himself. While many artists died very poor, he did not. He travelled a lot to get the best image of the beach, certain cultures and areas in Spain, and the gardens. I  even got to see a painting of his that he never completed and much thanks goes to his wife for allowing their house to get preserved whenever he died so people could tour it! I got to see it in basically the same way it was once he past away. 


Group Photo After the Paseo de Madrid
The house of Sorolla and many of his works

On Thursday evening, some of my friends from the program and I went out to the Fiesta de la Paloma in La Latina. There was wonderful music, performers, a ton of food and classic drinks that you would believe Spain to have. I had my first sangria here in Spain last night and it was delicious. My friends and I jsut danced and people watched mostly. We might go back on Saturday evening after we go and see Escorial-- a city very close to Madrid. 


The Fiest streets- there were a lot of people there for a Thursday night ( or at least that's what I thought- These Spaniards like to party)

It's going by quickly, but I am okay with that. I am taking in every moment and enjoying it to my fullest ability just because I know in about two short weeks, I will be back home giving a huge hug to everyone that I have wished was with me here and sharing my wonderful experiences with them. What a wonderful thing to look forward to in addition to the next two weeks!

Much love, 

Brianna





No comments:

Post a Comment